Who Cares for the Carer


Who cares for the carer?


On this page you will find links to resources ranging from support groups for carers, looking after yourself, through to advice on housing and welfare. Registering as a carer at your GP surgery can help with: 

  • Flexible appointments
  • Your GP will monitor your health more closely, as he/she will be more aware of your commitments as a carer and any associated health problems.


Self-referral service for carers
CPFT's Psychological Well-being team has launched a new self-referral service. 

Carers can self-refer online here or by telephoning 0300 300 0055 or they can still discuss a referral with their GP. They offer short-term, evidence-based psychological treatment for common mental health difficulties such as stress, anxiety, low mood and depression.  All the treatments on offer are recommended by The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).

Support and information for Carers

Rethink Carer support Cambridgeshire and Peterborough group provides support for carers, friends and families who are supporting loved ones affected by mental illness. Please contact 07783 267013 or email CambridgeRethinkGroup@rethink.org for further information

Rethink mental illness is a national charity providing support for people caring for  loved ones with a mental illness

BEAT  is the UK's leading Charity supporting anybody affected by eating disorders, anorexia, bulima, EDNOS or any other difficulties with food, weight and shape. 

Carers Trust  provide information for carers. 

Making Space support carers who provide practical help and /or emotional support to a friend, relative or partner living with a mental health condition 

Both CPFT and Carers Trust want to support your needs as much as possible, and the best way we can give this support is to provide you with a carer assessment. This is a way of finding out what support you might need, not an assessment of your ability as a carer. The Care Act 2014 entitles all carers to a carer assessment on the appearance of need. This is irrespective of the level of support you are providing someone. The person you care for does not need to be in receipt of services for you to have an assessment of your own needs as a carer. You are also able to request a review of your needs at any time should your circumstances change.

If appropriate, we encourage the carer and service user to be involved in these discussions together so that we can ensure you both have all the support you need to carry out your caring role. However, this should be your choice and you should not be made to do this if you would rather be assessed separately.

It is important that you take time to prepare for your assessment.

Some of the topics you may wish to discuss as a part of your assessment are:

• Practical support

• Emotional support

• How best to help and support the person you care for

• Confidentiality and information sharing

• Your rights if the service user refuses consent to share information

• How to get time off from caring (breaks)

• Your own health, wellbeing and leisure needs

• Help with understanding recovery options

• Where to get advice on welfare benefits

• Support to start training or employment

• Contingency plan for when you are unable to care

• Culturally appropriate support that is specific to your needs

• Complexities and difficulties around caring for more than one person

• Advice on what to do in a crisis

The Carer Assessment

All carers should be offered information, advice and guidance to universally accessible services to help them stay healthy and well as a minimum. This might include help to make a contingency plan or claim welfare benefits. Depending on the outcome of your carer assessment, you may be offered a range of support. Carers with eligible needs may also be entitled to Self-Directed Support (SDS) which provides you with a personalised budget and allows you to choose how your support is provided.

After the assessment

If you are assessed as having "eligible" needs you will be contacted about what help might be available. This will be based on the information you provided during your assessment. If you are assessed as not having needs that are eligible for support you will be given information and advice about what alternative support is available to help you locally - for example help from a voluntary organisation 

Whilst you are still undertaking a carer's role, your assessment should be reviewed annually to identify any changes to your personal circumstances. Please ask for the review to be brought forward if there are significant changes to your circumstances 

Contingency Plans for Carers (also called back-up plans or ‘what-if’ plans)

Many carers worry what would happen if for any reason they are unable to provide support to the person they care for. For this reason, it is sensible to prepare a contingency plan with you so that you can make arrangements for any support that needs to be provided in your absence and if/when an emergency arises. We will work with you to develop this contingency plan and we undertake to keep a confidential copy. If you are not offered the option of a contingency plan when you have your carer assessment, please ask us. It is your right to have a contingency plan even if you do not want a carer assessment.

Your contingency plan may contain details such as:

• A contact name and number of someone who is willing to help in an emergency, such as a relative or friend

• Details of the support provided for the cared for person

• Whether there are any access issues to the cared for person’s accommodation

Contingency plans can be shared – with your consent – across multiple agencies. This could include sharing a plan with a GP or social care provider.

Who provides me with my carer assessment and/or contingency plan?

If you live in Cambridgeshire and you are caring for an adult who is not receiving on-going mental health intervention from CPFT or local authority adult social care support - including people who are funding their own care and support and young carers up to the age of 18 - then Carers Trust Cambridgeshire is responsible for undertaking carers’ assessments.

If you live in Peterborough and you are caring for an adult who is not receiving on-going mental health intervention from CPFT or local authority adult social care support - including people who are funding their own care and support and young carers up to the age of 18 - then carers’ assessments are undertaken by Peterborough City Council.

If the person you care for is receiving ongoing mental health intervention, for example from a CPFT community team or inpatient service, CPFT is responsible for making the arrangements for carer assessments. There are a few exceptions to this rule - for example, where service user contact with CPFT services is brief, such as in First Response Service, Psychological Wellbeing Service or A&E. In these situations, CPFT will assist in signposting you to the most appropriate service.

We appreciate that the arrangements may seem confusing so please ask us if you are not sure about who is responsible for your carer assessment and we will assist in signposting you to the organisation most appropriate for your circumstances.

The page was last updated on 16 May 2019 by carers.editor.

Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust
Elizabeth House, Fulbourn Hospital
Cambridge, CB21 5EF

T 01223 219400 (open 8:30am to 5pm)
F 01480 398501

IIP-logo-reversed Mindful-employer NHS-Employers-web Triangle-of-Care-member Twitter Logo Youtube Logo Facebook Logo Instagram Logo Wordpress Logo