The research passport system

Researchers who are employed by a university or charitable organisation need to apply for access to our site/patients via the research passport system. This allows us to ensure that all research staff are appropriately qualified, trained and vetted before commencing work.

The R&D will issue an honorary research contract or a letter of access to researchers following submission of a successful application. The decision on whether an HRC or LoA is appropriate is dependent on the nature of the research activity. This is also true of the supporting documentation required by the Trust.

The Research Passport (NIHR) algorithm can be used to identify whether a DBS (previously CRB clearance) or occupational health clearance are required. 

The RP application form can be downloaded below. Once sections 1-6 are completed the form should be submitted to the R&D HR office, along with a CV and any other appropriate supporting documentation.

Employed by another NHS Trust (i.e. not CPFT)?

Researchers who have an NHS employment contract with another NHS Trust or NHS honorary clinical contract with another trust should not use the RP application form. 
Please download and complete the NHS to NHS confirmation of pre-engagement checks form.

If you are in any doubt please contact us and we will be pleased to advise you, r&

The page was last updated on 27 March 2018 by aient.


Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust
Elizabeth House, Fulbourn Hospital
Cambridge, CB21 5EF

T 01223 219400 (open 8:30am to 5pm)
F 01480 398501

IIP-logo-reversed Mindful-employer NHS-Employers-web Triangle-of-Care-member Twitter Logo Youtube Logo Facebook Logo Instagram Logo Wordpress Logo